AN ORDER DECLARING A STATE OF EMERGENCY WITHIN HOWARD COUNTY, INCLUDING THE CITY OF KOKOMO AND THE TOWNS OF RUSSIAVILLE AND GREENTOWN
WHEREAS, heavy rains have created severe and dangerous flooding conditions throughout Howard County, including the City of Kokomo and the Towns of Russiaville and Greentown; and
WHEREAS, the Howard County Board of Commissioners has determined that a state of emergency should be declared forthwithto protect the citizens of Howard County and their property.
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED AND DECLARED THAT A STATE OF LOCAL EMERGENCY EXISTS WITHIN HOWARD COUNTY; AND BE IT FURTHER ORDERED AND DECLARED AS FOLLOWS:
1. That the area affected by this order includes all of Howard County, including the City of Kokomo and the Towns of Russiaville and Greentown;
2. That the Howard County Department of Emergency Management is directed to continue coordinating with Howard County, the City of Kokomo, and the Towns of Greentown and Russiaville all public safety measures necessary to protect persons and property;
3. That this declaration shall serve as authorization for Howard County, the City of Kokomo and the Towns of Greentown and Russiaville to make appropriate applications to state and federal authorities for local disaster relief as deemed necessary by the respective public officials;
4. That all citizens of Howard County are urged to exercise extreme caution when dealing with flood conditions, including, but not limited to, traveling upon streets and highways;
5. That this Order shall extend for a period of no longer than seven (7) days from this date, unless sooner terminated by a vote of the Board of Commissioners;
6. That the state of emergency declared herein may be extended beyond the seven (7) day period specified herein only with the consent of the governing bodies of the affected political subdivisions; and
7. That this declaration shall be forthwith filed in the offices of the Howard County Clerk, the Howard County Auditor and the respective Clerks of Kokomo, Russiaville and Greentown; and this declaration shall be announced and disseminated forthwith to the general public by the best and quickest means available.
SO ORDERED THIS 18th day of April, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
Howard County Board of Commissioners
By Tyler Moore, President
with email concurrence by Commissioners Wyman and Bray