INDIANAPOLIS (March 3, 2017) – Yesterday, Commissioner Rick J. Ruble presented the Governor’s Workplace Safety Award to nine Hoosier companies to recognize their proactive efforts to eliminate and reduce worker exposure to occupational safety and health hazards. Additionally, four individuals received special recognition with the Everyday Safety Hero Award.
Held at the Indiana Convention Center, the Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards Luncheon was part of the 2017 Indiana Safety and Health Conference. The annual event is hosted by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers in partnership with the Indiana Department of Labor.
“It is an honor to present these awards to Hoosier businesses and individuals,” said Commissioner Ruble. “Workers should remind themselves they don’t need superpowers to be a hero. Being proactive in occupational safety and health and protecting yourself and coworkers is a heroic quality.”
Indiana companies were recognized in the following categories: Education and Outreach, Innovations, Partnerships, and Rising Star. The 2017 Governor’s Workplace Safety Award recipients are:
- Dow AgroSciences – Education and Outreach (External) for Construction
- Gribbins Insulation Co., Inc. – Education and Outreach (Internal) for Construction
- Steinberger Construction, Inc. – Innovations for Construction
- BMWC Constructors, Inc. – Partnerships for Construction
- Monsanto of Remington, Indiana – Education and Outreach (External) for General Industry
- Fit Tight Covers – Education and Outreach (Internal) for General Industry
- PAOLI Furniture – Innovations for General Industry
- Red Gold, Inc., Distribution Center – Partnerships for General Industry
- Republic Airline Inc. – Rising Star
Indiana Chamber President and CEO Kevin Brinegar said, “A healthier workplace means more productive workers and a more profitable workplace. By providing an environment of workplace safety, these award winners are protecting the company’s most important asset – its workers.”
A distinguished award for 2017, the Everyday Safety Hero Award, recognized those Hoosiers who have championed workplace safety and health excellence in their respective workplaces. Individuals, who may not be safety and health professionals, were nominated by their peers or organizations. Winners were selected based on a narrative provided by their respective nominators.
Winners of the Everyday Safety Hero Award are:
- Dennis DeMoss, General Superintendent for Rieth-Riley of Goshen, Indiana
- Larry Tames, Director of Laundry and Transportation Services for Franklin United Methodist Community of Franklin, Indiana
- Jennifer Hart, Payroll Clerk for LSC Communications of Crawfordsville, Indiana
- Tony Faris, Equipment Operator for River Metals Recycling of Greensburg, Indiana
The annual Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards are a result of a partnership among government, business, and safety leaders including the Indiana Department of Labor on behalf of Governor Eric J. Holcomb, the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, and the Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
To learn more about the Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards program, please visit www.in.gov/dol/2381.htm. For more information about the Indiana Safety and Health Conference, please visit www.insafetyconf.com.
Indiana Department of Labor – Amanda Stanley (317) 232-2379 or email@example.com
Indiana Chamber – Rebecca Patrick (317) 264-6897 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Indiana Department of Labor:
The mission of the Indiana Department of Labor is to advance the safety, health and prosperity of Hoosiers in the workplace. In order to make significant strides, we emphasize both enforcement and compliance assistance by employers. www.in.gov/dol
About the Indiana Chamber of Commerce:
The Indiana Chamber of Commerce partners with 24,000 members and investors – representing over four million Hoosiers – to achieve the mission of “cultivating a world-class environment which provides economic opportunity and prosperity.” www.indianachamber.com